Monday, January 10, 2011

I Am a Backhoe

The hilariously-named I Am a Backhoe has been the source of more than one joke among the adults in our household (see, e.g., the second item that showed up when I searched Amazon for the title, T-Shirt Men's Black "KISS ME, I AM AN [sic] BACKHOE OPERATOR"). But in my view, that just adds to the fun.

This one is great for a younger truck-obsessed kid. Charlie enjoyed it most in the 18-month to 2-years range, though he still likes reading it on occasion. The story is simple: a little boy pretends to be various trucks, one at a time. He describes and acts out what the truck does ("I dig my hand into the sand, my scooper hand."), including some good action words ("Dig. Dig. Dig. Lift, turn, tip.") and then you turn the page to reveal what truck he is. On the last pages, his father shows up, pretending to be a flatbed truck, and gives the little boy a ride on his back. Then they sit down on the couch together and read a book about trucks.

The drawings of the people and trucks are very realistic, and the backgrounds are simply gently-shaded bright colors. The front and back inside covers have close-ups of parts of the various trucks from the book, so you can use that page to play a vocabulary game, as well as color identification. There's not too much of interest for parents here (aside from the title), but Charlie always enjoyed it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment